Celebrate World Vegetarian Month
Want to get involved in World Vegetarian Month by eating more plant-based, but don’t know how?
Let our World Vegetarian Month ambassador Ganesh Raj (Eat Well for Less co-host and celebrated restaurateur at The Tasting Shed) help out by showing you some tasty and healthy plant based recipes that won’t break the bank.
See our tasty and nutritious Bean Supreme Beetroot Potato Rosti brunch, or our flavour packed Fully Loaded Chilli Dog featuring Alternative Meat Co Sausages and Vegie Delights Savoury Mince.
BEETROOT POTATO ROSTI STACK
1 clove garlic (grated)
Salt & pepper
1 tsp butter (or dairy-free spread)
1 tsp olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
Salt & pepper
|Basil & Jalapeno Salsa
||5 pieces of pickled jalapenos
Fresh lime juice
5 basil leaves
Salt & pepper
½ tsp olive oil
|Bean Supreme Beetroot Burger
- Peel, clean and grate the potato. Make sure to get all the liquid out by squeezing the potato mix. This is important to make sure the potato crisps up.
- In a bowl, add the garlic and parsley, salt & pepper.
- Make a 2 cm rosti with your hands.
- Heat the oil and butter over a medium heat.
- Fry the rosti until it is golden brown on both sides. Set aside.
Basil & Jalapeno Salsa
- Chop up the jalapeno and basil. Chop as finely as you can.
- In a small bowl, add mix. Add lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a drop of oil if the texture is too firm.
- Boil a pot of water. Then reduce to a bare simmer.
- Crack the egg into a cup first. Then lower it gently into the water. I swirl it once just to get the egg slightly clumped.
- Turn off the heat, put the lid on and let it rest for 4 mins.
- Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and set it on a paper towel to drain.
Next mash the avocado, lime, salt and pepper and set it aside
Heat some oil in a medium pan. Fry the Beetroot patty for 2-3 minutes on each side, until it is slightly golden and heated through.
- Lay the potato rosti on the bottom
- Then cover the diameter of the rosti with the smashed avocado
- Next is the beetroot burger
- The egg is next followed by the salsa on top of that.
- Garnish with micro greens and serve!
CHILLI DOG – FULLY LOADED!
|Alternative Meat Co. Sausage
|Chilli Con Carne
||1 onion (chopped)
2 garlic cloves (chopped)
½ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp cumin
1 pack Vegie Delights Savoury Mince
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp tomato puree
1 can red kidney beans
1 cup vegetable stock
1 tbsp dairy-free sour cream
|Red onions (finely chopped)
|Parsley (finely chopped)
|2 tsp dairy-free spread
|2 Hot Dog Buns
- Chilli Con Carne:
- Heat some oil in a medium heated pan
- Fry the onions and garlic till the onions go golden.
- Add the chilli, paprika, cumin and mixed herbs. Stir for 1 min.
- Add the mince and brown it. Make sure the mince is well broken up.
- Add the can of tomatoes and beans and mix well.
- Add the sugar and season with salt to taste.
- Add vegetable stock. Then boil. Once it reaches boiling point, reduce immediately to a simmer.
- Cook down for 20mins
- Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Cook the Alternative Meat Co. sausages in a medium heat pan with a little oil. Make sure it is golden.
- Cut a hot dog bun in half. Heat a little dairy-free spread in a pan and brown the insides of the bun
- Spread dairy-free spread on one side of the bun and dairy-free sour cream on the other side.
- Load the bun up with the chilli mix
- Garnish the top of the chilli with red onion, parsley and dairy-free cheese
- Serve and enjoy!